Sunday, April 22, 2012, marks the 42th Anniversary of Earth Day!!! (Yes!… this is our major holiday, fellow “greenies!”)
Earth Day was created in 1970 as a way to remind us to appreciate nature and this amazing planet we live on, and learn how to protect our environment and all of its inhabitants. (Did you know:) While it is celebrated in the Spring in the Northern Hemisphere, it is actually observed in the Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere (both days being the exact “middle point” of the season). Ahh… Earth Day trivia!
This year, find a way to celebrate! Take notice of all that we HAVE to celebrate and no matter how small and insignificant your actions may seem, they matter… they add up… they make a difference…
- Plant a tree or sponsor the planting of a tree
- Buy local and/or organic and make a fabulous meal
- Attend an Earth Day event
- Read a book (or a blog!) about going green
- Read an earth/recycling/nature book to your kids
- Clean out the clutter and donate it
- Go for a walk/hike/bike ride… get outdoors!
- Pick up trash in your neighborhood or community
- Break ground for a flower garden or plant veggies
- Adopt nature or an endangered species
- See an “earth” movie (“Chimpanzee” is premiering!)
- Make recycled crafts with your kids
- Vow to use earth-friendly cleaning products only
- Improve and increase your recycling practices
- Switch some lightbulbs to CFLs
- Buy and USE reusable bags, always!
- Keep your car parked for the day… and walk!
- Turn off some lights
- Reduce your water consumption
- Buy a composter or a rain barrel and put greywater to use
Take action, talk about it, MAKE a difference… EVERY day should be Earth Day!