I used to have a cleaning product cupboard that was loaded with a cleaner for every purpose. That’s changed quite a bit since I learned the magic of distilled white vinegar and baking soda, however homemade cleaners have been getting a bad rap lately for some concerns over their anti-bacterial abilities.
Well, not long ago I discovered a recipe for a fantastic multi-purpose, homemade green cleaner that eliminates that concern. I honestly don’t recall where I found it (if I owe someone credit, please let me know!) but it’s another one of those things worth sharing! So here goes…
- distilled white vinegar
- eco-friendly dishwashing liquid
- lemongrass essential oil or tea tree oil
The trick with this cleaner is the use of the lemongrass essential oil or the tea tree oil. Lemongrass happens to be a natural anti-bacterial (yes, natural… not harsh like commercial anti-bacterials) and the tea tree oil has properties that are both anti-viral and anti-fungal.
- Fill a 28-32 ounce sprayer bottle about half full with water (you probably have one at home that you’ve salvaged from another product!)
- Fill almost the rest of the bottle with distilled white vinegar
- Add 15-20 drops of essential lemongrass oil OR tea tree oil (depending on where you want to use it… or mix a batch of each)
- Add 3 drops of eco-friendly dishwashing liquid
- Shake to mix and you’re ready to go!
You’ll want to give it a good shake before every use and, I assure you, with the number of places it can be used, you’ll be doing lots of shakin’ in your kitchens and bathrooms… stainless steel, chrome, countertops, sinks, toilets, tubs, showers, mirrors, windows, floors, doors, ovens, microwaves… the list goes on and on.
The worst part?… well, now it’s time to clean!