Now that summer vacation for both of my kids has finally arrived, it’s time to compile that list of “to do’s” that has been taking a backseat to kid’s activities all school year long.
Top of that list?… purging closets and drawers of clothing, shoes and accessories that are causing said closets and drawers to have stress fractures! Yea… you know the feeling… that moment after finishing all of the laundry when you “attempt” to put everything away and it simply doesn’t fit in the “space” any longer. Mine have reached that point.
First comes the purge. What is the rule of thumb?… if it hasn’t been worn in two years, face it… you won’t wear it. And if your children have outgrown it, truly… it’s over! But many times your clothing is in great condition and you know it isn’t yet destine for the rag bag (although if you know it truly isn’t worthy, turning it into a rag IS a great choice for upcycling!).
So what are your choices? More than ever, there are plenty of them:
- Ebay – everyone knows this one as “the original”… it’s still around and does a great job of buying or selling what you want or only want to get rid of! (*Hint: it’s best to sell in a “lot” of clothes – i.e. six size 4T boy’s outfits)
- Craig’s List – this is the best way to localize a sale or search of items because you list by community (again, a “lot” works best)
- Freecycle – this list also centralizes items to specific communities and all items are offered for free, so you know someone who really wants it gets it!
- Bigwardrobe – this site is brand new to the U.S. (after huge success abroad) and lists many high-end designer items for sale and SWAP.
- Soles4Souls – this organization accepts donated shoes to distribute to those who simply need shoes. (Right now there are 14 children’s feet safely covered in Haiti thanks to the generous donation of my own children!)
- Good ole’ American garage sale – you’ll nearly have to give them away, but if someone wants them, they’ll buy them!
- DONATE! – there is always a long list of community organizations that serve those in need. This one is obviously my favorite because I’m not so concerned about making money… I just want to help those who are less fortunate and I find this the most rewarding choice.
Whatever you choose, just make it a choice that keeps valuable clothing and shoes from being tossed away. I know you have plenty to give… so come’on! Let’s purge!!!