Wouldn’t that be nice… purchase ONE gift and you’re done for the whole year??? Well, that’s not exactly what I meant but we can all dream, can’t we?!?!
Sincerely, I feel like I’m constantly purchasing gifts for some sort of occasion. The problem is that we often feel pressured to fulfill someone’s wish list, but there is nothing wrong with fulfilling some of our own wishes too, so how about using gift-giving occasions as an opportunity for spreading a little green cheer.
Here’s is what I have in mind… right now, choose one green, environmental and/or eco-friendly item… and choose to buy it EVERY time you have a gift giving occasion. Sound impossible? Well, it’s really not. I’ll give you a couple of ideas to get you started:
- Reusable water bottles – it’s impossible to shop and NOT run into reusable water bottles, in every color and style possible, for everyone, of every age.
- Reusable bags/ totes – anything from shopping bags to fabric totes, to sport packs and kids’ carry-alls (extra points for organic cottons, upcycled and reclaimed fabrics!).
- Books – every bookstore has a diverse supply of eco-themed books, regardless of interest or age.
- Movies – a quick search will turn up everything from Wall-e, to Planet Earth, to An Inconvenient Truth… there is something for everyone.
- Clothing – who doesn’t love a comfy tee? Buy organic cotton with an earth-friendly message and the message will be spread even further than the recipient!
If your recipient has the technology to accommodate, you can also go another step greener and buy e-books or iTune gifts!
So, do you think you could do it? I bet’cha you could. Will I? You bet’cha, I will!