This weekend is the mother of all “picnic times!” The 4th of July picnics, parties, cookouts and celebrations will go on all weekend! (I know they will for us!)
But it can also be a time of excess, waste and lots and lots of traditions that aren’t green at all and it can leave you feeling a little blue!
So here is my list of things to keep in mind as you celebrate:
- Cookouts – skip the charcoal & lighter fluid and go for propane grilling. Even if you’re headed to a picnic area, you can prepare the grill items at home and bring them along. Did you know that newspaper is a great insulator for any containers and will keep your hot foods incredibly hot! (But remember to bring the newspaper home for recycling afterward!)
- Food – choose fresh, locally-grown, organic produce and meats. Whatever you can buy local, choose it!
- Coolers – no cheapo Styrofoam coolers… they may be convenient but they don’t last long, and after buying a few Styrofoam versions you could have actually owned a “real one” that you can use again and again and again!
- Dinnerware, flatware and serveware – if you’re at home (or even away), choose the reusables… just avoid throwaway plastics and paper at all costs. And if you are away from home scrape off the food scraps, bring home the reusables and wash ‘em! You can even go crazy and choose some compostables!
- Table covering – three words: CLOTH, not plastic!
- Containers – three more words: REUSABLES, not throwaways!
- Beverages – whenever possible, mix up big batches of beverages (lemonade, iced tea) and have a large container of water, and use (or bring) the reusable glasses or tumblers (again, no Stryrofoam or plastic, pleeeeze!). For those refreshing “adult beverages”, choose an organic and/or local brew and remember to…
- RECYCLE! – it goes without saying… bottles, cans, cardboard & paperboard… have a recycling can or container ready to receive it all!
Happy 4th of July! Celebrate your freedom and exercise your right to choose “green”… and add it to the red, white and blue!