I do NOT buy Ziploc baggies… ever. Okay, one exception: when I had to buy them to complete our daughter’s list of “required” school supplies. I wanted to wear dark glasses and a hood because I felt like I was going to be detained and questioned by the “Green Police” at any moment for abandoning my pledge to headquarters!
But I am currently also annoyed by “The Biggest Loser” and the way they keep pimping Ziplocs. I understand product placements and the sponsorship, but it’s as if you can’t have food without them! The incessant use of Ziplocs is unnecessary.
There ARE alternatives to Ziplocs and the non-biodegradable trash they create:
- Reusable containers are a green mom’s best friend. Invest in some!
- For those concerned about the plastic, glass bowls with lids or stainless steel containers do wonders. They come in all shapes and sizes!
- Aluminum foil is recyclable and is great for wrapping tons of food items. Buy a roll!
- Salvage some glass jars and turn them into storage. Reuse those plastic containers from yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. and do the same.
- If you must, must, must use baggies, consider the new Ziploc evolve products. They are made from a new resin blend using 25% less plastic, manufactured using approximately 50% renewable wind energy and packaged in a 100% recycled paperboard carton, with a minimum of 35% post-consumer content. A step in the right direction, but if you must use them, wash and REuse them!
(I personally think that the new Ziploc evolve baggies are just a way to suck “greenies” like us back to their storage bags but like I said… “if you MUST…”…)
Bottom line is: there are better ways! Try it… and let’s “bag the baggie!”